“There is none like You, O LORD;
You are great, and Your name is great in might.“
Several of us will be reading this book over the next few months. Would you like to join us? See Pastor Donnie for a copy of the book (or you can order None Greater at Amazon), and see Andy E if you would like to meet together for small group discussion and fellowship on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month, beginning in April.
May we rediscover these divine perfections of God and find ourselves surprised by the God we thought we knew. Your Christian walk will never be the same.
About the book
For too long, Christians have domesticated God, bringing Him down to our level, as if He is a God who can be tamed. But He is a God who is high and lifted up, the Creator rather than the creature, Someone which none greater can be conceived. If God is the most perfect, supreme being, infinite and incomprehensible, then certain perfect-making attributes must be true of Him. Perfections like aseity, simplicity, immutability, and eternity shield God from being crippled by creaturely limitations. At the same time, this all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-wise God exhibits perfect wisdom, holiness, and love as He makes known who He is and how He will save us. When we need to be reminded of God’s magnificence, the attributes of God show us exactly why God is worthy of worship: there is none like Him.
- Can We Know the Essence of God? Incomprehensibility
- Can We Think God’s Thoughts after Him? How the Creature Should (and Should Not) Talk about the Creator
- Is God the Perfect Being? Why and Infinite God Has No Limitations
- Does God Depend on You? Aseity
- Is God Made Up of Parts? Simplicity
- Does God Change? Immutability
- Does God Have Emotions? Impassibility
- Is God in Time? Timeless Eternity
- Is God Bound by Space? Omnipresence
- Is God All-Powerful, All-Knowing, and All-Wise? Omnipotence, Omniscience, and Omnisapience
- Can God Be Both Holy and Loving? Righteousness, Goodness, and Love
- Should God Be Jealous for His Own Glory? Jealousy and Glory
None Greater: The Undomesticated Attributes of God
by Matthew Barrett (2019, Baker Books)